© Torthorwald Community Council
Torthorwald Community Council      serving the community
TORTHORWALD COMMUNITY COUNCIL (TCC) (TCC area: Collin, Dargavel, Douievale, Elizafield, Greenlea, Isle of Man, Racks, Roucan & Torthorwald). Minutes of Meeting: Monday 17 th May 2021 ZOOM meeting Present: Bob Watson (BW) Chair, Lindsay Florey (LF) Secretary, Norrie Brydson (NB), Pauline Dear(PD) Treasurer, Gerald Draper (GD), Ewan Brolls (EB), Also present: Bill Meadows (BM), Bill Hitchens (BH) Ivor Hyslop (IH), John Campbell (JCa) Apologies: Millar and Jean Cameron (M&J Cameron), John and Nessie Carson (JC & NC), Craig Meier (CM), Ann Greybe, Douglas Fairbairn, Bill Lawson. Welcome and Apologies: Bob welcomed everyone to the meeting which was held as a Zoom meeting due to the coronavirus pandemic. Minutes of the last meeting: These were approved. Proposed PD, seconded BW. Matters Arising: Letters from Bill Lawson, Douglas Fairbairn and Vincent Connor were presented detailing the rook issues for local residents mess, noise etc. The CC agreed this is an ongoing problem and plan a consultation exercise on the issue. The use of lasers to deter birds when not nesting and the use of a peregrine falcon kite were discussed. No action until after the consultation. Information had been received that the council are working with DGHP to review, repair and if necessary replace playground equipment. They have been asked to involve the local community if new equipment is planned to ensure it meets the current needs of the population. Jeff Leaver has been in contact re a possible 20mph speed limit in Collin around the school. Our community is slowly rising up the ‘to do’ list 2 litter picks had been held on Auld Tree Road. A photograph appeared on the council twitter account. Tom Florey and LF were thanked for their planning and input as were all members of the community who took part. Community consultation has yet to be arranged re the positioning of the noticeboards in some of the areas. David Sloan has been spoken to re replacing dead trees. It is not in his current plans. Possible Community Project: No further planning until decision reached about the future of the travellers’ site, Collin. Unauthorised Encampments, Collin: The actions from a meeting with Alan Kerr, (Gypsy Traveller liaison officer), Sgt McCaughey and PC Graham (Police Scotland), Betty Paisley and Lindsay Florey were discussed. Possible waste disposal bins could be sited on the grass area between the school and the site. Use of a footpath to bypass any illegal encampments was discussed but there was little enthusiasm. Local community to offer rubbish bags to illegal encampments at weekends was discussed. Some members of CC happy to take this role on. Ongoing monitoring of the situation and joint working to continue. Illegal encampments that obstruct service and emergency vehicle access will be rapidly removed. Community Resilience Plan: No further action until defibrillators available. Police Report: None available. BW to liaise with the police. Planning: Conditional Grant Mr & Mrs Ken Hutchison, The Manor Country House Hotel for erection of dwelling house and formation of access. Application for erection of sheep shed, Mr Greg Carnochan, East Roucan, Torthorwald. A letter from Mr Bill Lawson raising concerns re possible lack of planning application for removal of trees and implementation of hard standing was discussed. The general feeling was that it was unlikely tree preservation orders would have been in place or appropriate, the trees were already felled, the planning application was proceeding and individual objections could be lodged. The CC agreed it would be extreme and inappropriate for action as a CC. LF to contact Mr Lawson. Recycling of Glass: Members of the community are keen for installation of glass recycling bins. Torthorwald bin to be in car parking area opposite hall Collin bin to be near the school. LF to enquire about a glass bin in Greenlea. JCa mentioned that people receiving home deliveries might be able to get empty bottles removed. Treasurer’s report: Cheques paid to both halls, the Cruck Cottage and the Rural from the £2000 windfarm grant total £1,924 with £76 remaining. £40 paid for data protection fee £551.91 discretionary grant received Remaining balance £47,913.92 Agreed no necessity to apply to ANCBC to cover the cost of the summer newsletter. Newsletter: All material welcomed Important to promote the TCC website Possible children’s competition Details and thanks to the local post office team in Collin. During the pandemic the service has been invaluable. Secretary’s Report: Dumfries Partnership Action Group inviting CC views re 10year action plan for Dumfries Youth Activities Funding – 10,000 voices CC annual satisfaction survey completed Public Protection Partnership newsletter circulated Volunteer sought for role of chairperson for the Tackling Poverty and Inequalities Partnership Get involved in local volunteer week details circulated Speed data circulated Response from Derek Hextall to letter raising concerns of some residents in Collin discussed. IMPORTANT TO KNOW POSTCODE FOR SCHOOL/TRAVELLER SITE IF RINGING 101 DG1 4JE. If concerns re anti-social behaviour can call the Council Community Safety Team 030 33 33 3000 Damage to the pillars of the church gates in Torthorwald has resulted in gates and the attached plaques being removed. Church meeting tonight to decide if the plaques should be returned to the village for safe keeping. JCa clear that if the damage caused by council vehicles repair is the council’s responsibility. A.O.C.B. Discussion took place re return of meetings to the village halls.? to Collin hall in July. Should we consider blended meetings with internet and actual attendance. BM updated the CC re progress on the Rigg Path exploration of planning permission requirements and funding ongoing. Work may not be able to be done until 2022. IH had been advised of non-functioning lighting in the Collin underpass. There is ongoing discussion with Amey and the council roads department re responsibility but initially Amey are planning a site visit and possible repair. JC thanked the CC for the funding for security lighting at Collin Hall. NEXT MEETING: 21 st June on Zoom
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
Draft Minutes

Minutes of

meetings

Torthorwald Community

Council

(TCC area: Collin, Dargavel, Douievale, Elizafield, Greenlea, Isle of Man, Racks, Roucan & Torthorwald). Minutes of Meeting: Monday 19 th October 2020 ZOOM meeting Present: Bob Watson (BW) Chair, Pauline Dear (PD) Treasurer, Ewan Brolls (EB), Lindsay Florey (LF) Secretary, John and Nessie Carson (JC & NC). Also present: Bill Meadows (BM), Bill Hitchens (BH), Norrie Brydson (NB). Apologies: Miller and Jean Cameron (M&JCa), Michael Currie (MC), Craig Meier (CM). Welcome and Apologies: Bob welcomed everyone to the meeting which was held as a zoom meeting due to the coronavirus pandemic. Minutes of the last meeting: These were approved. Matters Arising: No further issues with Collin notice board. Taking it down temporarily would require drilling out the rivets. Discussion re the Branetrigg path link to Shieldhill Rd, Torthorwald is ongoing. B M to meet with SEPA. Richard Armstrong from ‘Paths for All’ has been in contact. Council permission to cut down foliage restricting road visibility at Smithy Cottage has been granted and the work has already been completed. Response from Joseph Seed, Corsock and KPD community council, thanking us for our input and stating Scottish Forestry have agreed improved public consultation in the future. Farm vehicle traffic speed felt to be reduced but ongoing concerns re traffic speed generally in Collin. NB discussed signage indicating ‘20’s Plenty’. Costs to be sought (NB) and CCES to be contacted suggesting these signs might be helpful. (LF) Discussion about possible funding from CC but council response awaited in first instance. Christmas Events: No senior citizens’ meal will be possible. Discussion took place of possible hampers, calendars, tea towel for all residents in the TCC area. Previous cost of meals £2,000 plus. Agreed PD to investigate possibility of a CC tea towel. Remembrance day: Minister, CC chairman, bugler and wreath layer only at the ceremony. 3pm Sunday 8 th November at the war memorial, Collin. Suggestion from Council of community displaying poppy poster in their windows – template and link to be put on website and displayed in notice boards. General Public suggestion that members of the public could show their support by standing on their doorstep for 2 minutes’ silence at 11am. Website: Discussion of Remembrance day led to discussion of improving our TCC website BW to draft an advertisement for help from a member of our community. Possible funding might be available if necessary using ANCBC covid grant. Community Support during Pandemic: Masks still being distributed. LF to write to Jean Wilson thanking her for her £100 donation to CC from her mask-making expenses. Community Assets team will support halls with plans to reopen. Details to be circulated (LF) Police Report: Report sent to BW. Statistics for the whole region. Anti-crime patrols in place Intelligence sought re drink and drug driving and cannabis growing. Planning: Unconditional planning permission granted for erection of extension to rear view elevation of dwelling house, 12 Townhead Park, Collin. Treasurers’ Report: Current statement - £44,447.27 Outgoing - £10,188 for notice boards, £55 for 200 club collectors’ gifts, £200 Mr Willie Clowe, £359.48 for hand sanitisers and gel, £215 newsletter printing, £63.95 website and domain registration, £21.99 auditors’ gifts. £48 payment for Torthorwald hall rental in progress. Incoming - £100 donation Jean Wilson. Secretary’s Report: Emails re the following circulated to all CC members Review of Road Service Questionnaire, Virtual child payment roadshows, Keeping Kids Safe, Challenge Poverty details, Managing Money Workshops, Free Training events with 3 rd sector, Job Opportunities, Robertson Trust & Tesco Community Grants, Amended Scheme for Establishment of Community Councils. Email from Scottish Forestry re Loch Moss Plans. Agreed to say we were content with this (LF). Email re any roads issues foreseen with Pylon line Glenlee to Tongland. Contact re derelict privately owned land opposite Collin School. Being used as unofficial dumping ground. Derek Hextall has already been involved and further contact to be made with him and via CCES. (LF) A.O.C.B. Noise complaints from Travellers’ Site - excellent speedy response from Alan Kerr, Gypsy traveller liaison officer. Residents in Collin are within their rights to contact the police. NB suggested we might use Microsoft teams to allow council members and police to join CC meetings. Contact to be made with Derek Hextall. (LF) Torthorwald Village is planning a Living Advent Calendar in December. Meeting closed 20.45 Next Meeting November 16 th 2020